Creative Life in the Gateway Arts District
The gallery is 450 square feet and features high, ceilings, a bank of windows along the southwest wall, track lighting, and pristine white walls. There is close access to the loading dock, just outside gallery entrance. Floor plans available by request or make an appointment to see the gallery by emailing John Paradiso at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular gallery hours: Thursdays and Fridays 7-9pm and Saturdays 12-3pm or by appointment.
Seeking proposals in any of three categories:
1. Curatorial Proposal: Open to curators to explore original ideas or themes. The intimate size of the Gallery is ideal for first time curators. This type of exhibition usually has an artist(s) reception towards the beginning of the exhibit and an artist(s) talk several weeks into the exhibit.
2. General Exhibition Proposals: These exhibitions are traditionally standard exhibitions of original work as a solo exhibition or exhibitions of two or more artists. This type of exhibition usually has an artist(s) reception towards the beginning of the exhibit and an artist(s) talk several weeks into the exhibit.
3. Project Proposal: These exhibitions use the space in a more non- traditional way. The project can be fluid and participatory. Past project shows have been interactive installations, and the space as a studio/laboratory where the artists created work during gallery hours and gallery visitors were encouraged to participate. This type of exhibit may have an artist reception at the beginning or end of the exhibit depending on the project. Artist talks will be scheduled in the same manner.
Application Deadline- November 29, 2013
￼All submissions must be received by 5:00pm on Friday November 29th.
Honorarium: Each exhibition receives a $500 Honorarium for materials or anything that facilitates the project.
Commission: Gateway will take 25% commission on sales during or as a result of this exhibition.
Eligibility & Submission Criteria: This call for proposals is open to all artists and curators 18 years of age or older. All works must be original unless reproductions are intended in the exhibition theme. Mixed media installation should include supporting material such as images, video or audio of the type of work being proposed as well as a brief (no longer than one page) document describing the prosed installation.
What to send:
Materials should be submitted by mail or delivered in person to 4102 Webster St., North Brentwood MD 20722. (There is a mail slot in door if no one is at the office)
1) A statement about the project intent, the body of work you are presenting and how you intend to use the gallery/project space. One page maximum.
2) A CD containing images/or segments of audio/video, each no longer than five minutes in duration
2) A CV or resume.
￼3) Work samples: Up to 10 images. You can mail or deliver in CD-ROM or email a weblink. Web images should DIRECTLY support this proposal, do not send a link to your whole website.
GUIDELINES FOR DIGITAL FILES
• Name each file according to the following format: “last name” underscore
“document”. Example: jones_statement.pdf.
• Please number each image file corresponding to the work sample list.
• Image files should not be larger than 1MB., and should be formatted as jpeg
• Video and audio submissions may be submitted as a DVD, or on a CD and formatted as Quicktime, Windows Media, .wav, or .mpeg files, as appropriate.
4) List of works. This should clearly correspond to images.
Send to (or drop off):
39th Street Gallery and Project Space Proposals c/o Gateway CDC office
4102 Webster St, North Brentwood MD 20722 Phone 301-864-3860
For more information, please email: John Paradiso